February 14, 2013

Arranging our Art

I got a call from my Dad today asking if I wanted to go to Ikea. Silly father - the answer to that question is ALWAYS yes, so off we went.

I treated him to lunch ($2 for two hot dogs and a drink) and he treated me to ice cream.

We have the same Ikea mindset, which is a good thing, because we took our time walking through the upstairs showroom, looking for inspirational ideas and thought starters. I've gone to Ikea with friends before who do NOT, under any circumstance, go upstairs and look around and that makes me sad. I feel cheated from the magic of the Ikea Experience when that happens.

My pops only got a few, very useful items (picture hanging kit, lamp), however I tend to always get a whole bunch of stuff that I really don't need...or maybe stuff that I didn't know I needed. Today was no different.

My favourite blog in the whole world (Young House Love) posted last week about using trays as artwork, and as soon as I saw these two beauties, I knew I had to tackle something similar to what they did.

Love the colours and love the whimsey of the birdies. Oh Ikea, you continue to impress me!

I love them because they have a similar colour palette but aren't matchy matchy. Then I went crazy searching the house for other artwork and frames that could work in the grouping and here is what I came up with. It's definitely going to be a work in progress that I will continue to add to, but I'm super happy with it so far.
It's a nice little, colourful addition to the hallway to prepare you for the BLAST of pink in Emmy's room. 
That vent up top is a wee bit of an eyesore...so my hope is that this collection of artwork will help it to blend in and not stand out so much. We will see. 
Along with the Ikea trays, this collection of artwork features a few VERY sentimental items that are special to me. Closest and at the bottom is a hot plate that belonged to my Grama - I get the warm and fuzzies just looking at it because it reminds me so much of her. The bottom photo in the white frame is a sonogram picture of the Lemon. I also added some of my cousin's original artwork that I'm very lucky to own.  
Tomorrow Emmy and I may hit up Value Village and/or WINNERS to see if we can find any vintage/used trays or other items that we can add to this lovely arrangement. Stay tuned!

No comments: