December 4, 2012

In the Driver's Seat

Before we moved to Brantford, I was afraid to drive. Afraid isn't actually a strong enough word. I was terrified.

For some reason Toronto driving scared me like birthday clowns scare small children. I would get sweaty palms, nervous tummy and had a number of really good excuses lined up in the event that someone asked me to drive, such as "I had a beer at lunch so I really shouldn't get behind the wheel" or "I'll just order whatever I need online, I don't need to go out to get anything" or "My glasses aren't working today and I need them to drive". OK, so maybe they were crap excuses, but I would dish them out anyway.

This fear of driving developed when I was involved in a t-bone accident back in oh-two (2002) where I was at fault turning left at a stop light and an oncoming driver struck my passenger side. That accident happened only about 14 days after I bought my very first car and there was about $6000 worth of damage to it that took two months to fix. I lost all of my driving confidence that day and that's when I started using the excuses. The times I sat behind the wheel grew further and further apart until I'd go months and months without driving.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that changed after we moved, but I've regained my confidence behind the wheel. Perhaps it's that things move a little slower here vs in Toronto or maybe I had a bit of irrational anxiety about driving in a "big city", but either way, it feels good to "be behind the wheel" and "in the driver's seat" about where I want to go.

Sorry, no more puns.

I'm actually quite proud of myself and wanted to share this achievement just in case there is anyone else out there who frequents this blog who might have a fear they've been thinking about trying to overcome. Those who know me well probably never thought I would be a regular, confident driver again, but if i can do that, you too can conquer your fears.

Here are my wheels:








No comments: