December 6, 2012

Our DIY Nightstand Makeover

My very first DIY project (the Ikea Rast "hack") is now complete, and although it was successful, I learned some very valuable lessons, such as:

> research, research and research before you jump into a DIY project to ensure you aren't forgetting an important step
> be patient. Follow all of the instructions/directions for the products you are using, even if they take longer than you want them to

The inspiration came from here (you can find detailed instructions on how to create the end result at that link) and I'm very happy with how ours turned out.

They were relatively straightforward to customize - I bought some wood stain, white paint, foam brushes (for the white drawer fronts) and bristle brushes (for the wood stain) and applied multiple coats of each plus a final two coats of varathane to seal that puppy. The knobs are from Wal-Mart and cost only $32 for six of them. Not too shabby.





Are they perfect? Nope.

Are they pretty darned nice looking and good enough for my first DIY? Yep, they sure are.

Here's a reminder of what they looked like before the customization phase!
There is still some bedroom styling that needs to get done to make the tops of those dressers sing, but even with a few items plopped on them quickly they look GREAT! Next DIY project on the list is the chalkboard for our kitchen wall. Chalkboard paint and rollers are sitting in our foyer just waiting to get used! Woo hoo!






4 comments:

Nikki said...

Love! I have this dresser, and might need to copy you! Or do something similar, anyway. :)

cici said...

Beautiful job! I love the two tone look. :)

Katie said...

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for the link back! Glad you found my little tutorial helpful. Your nightstands turned out beautifully! And I love the choice of stain. Nicely done. :)

TP said...

Great job!!! I love it!