October 17, 2012

King vs. Queen

Our little Lemon, Emmy, likes to constantly refer to herself as "a princess". And by constant I mean about two dozen times a day we hear the following come out of her mouth: "Mummy, I a princess!"...or sometimes it's a question "Mummy, I a princess?"..."You the Queen Mummy?"..."Daddy the King?".

Grama and Grampa made sure to get in on the action and Emmy now refers to Grampa as "the Prince" and Grama has been deemed "Queen Mother".

The point of all this Princess talk is that if I were to ask Emmy what this post was about, she would immediately say it was about Mummy and Daddy, since we are the King and Queen, but in reality this post is about the size of bed we will be having in our new master bedroom (that is nearly bigger than our Toronto living room and dining room combined).

The hubs and I have lived together for more than 10 years (in six different apartments/houses but that's a whole other story and something I should probably create one of those cool infographics things for), and we've never shared a bed bigger than a queen, with the exception of being on vacation.

It feels so luxurious to spread out and sleep in the starfish pose on vacation (and not have someone's elbow bump you square in the back in the middle of the night!), so we thought, why not live like that all the time? Add to the sleeping situation that the little Lemon does come into our bed on occasion (although we try very hard to limit how often, sometimes you just need a snuggle with your kiddo), which translates to one adult being displaced to the spare room, and the decision was made to trade in our queen for a king. Cue cheering!!

The Pros:
> I can sleep in starfish pose (picture your arms and legs outstretched as if you are mid-jumping jack!)!
> snoring sounds (from either side of the bed) will be farther away from sensitive ears
> even if the Lemon is snuggling with us, no one has to leave the bed...we can make a snuggle sandwich with the Lemon!
> I am short enough to sleep sideways on a king sized bed if I ever needed to!

The Cons:
> we don't own one so we have to purchase one
> that's about it if you ask me!

Here she is! We tested it out (when I say we, I really mean "me") by laying down on it, shoes off in the middle of the showroom, in the starfish pose and it was a done deal!!
We chose Ikea's Sultan Hultsvik memory foam pillowtop mattress. It really does seem to "mold to your body shape for precision support" like the write ups says - what that really means is that it feels like you are sleeping on a cloud!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Awesome! We have a California King and I will NEVER EVER go back. It is amazing. But even still, we bump into each other and I get annoyed. I'm considering 2 twin beds in the future. (kidding) Or am I?