October 18, 2012

Scoring my Goals

Move day is only 9 days away (GAH!) and I've been reflecting about how different my life will be after we have an N3T postal code instead of an M6S one. Quite honestly, I've also been panicking a little bit about why I thought it would be a good idea to give up a secure, well-paying job to move out of the city and try to be a part-time stay-at-home Mum. I shared these panicky thoughts with an amazingly wonderful co-worker (who is also a Mum) and she brought me back to reality.
 
She reminded me that I'm doing this for Emmy. For the relationship I want to have with her. So that in 30 years when I look back at her formative years I know that I was there with her, experiencing and creative adventures together. I'm also hoping that a positive side effect will be that we strengthen our marriage by bringing balance to our lives (date night, what's that?). Family is what life is all about, and I know how truly blessed and lucky I am to have this opportunity. Our little family will have struggles I'm sure, but in the end, to be able to have a stronger, more in-depth relationship with my little Lemon will be worth it all.

The Project Manager in me thought it would be a good idea to hold myself accountable to some goals that I hope to achieve over the coming months, and also that by posting them here, I will feel publicly accountable to seeing them through. Some are personal (e.g. shedding a large amount of extra weight I've done nothing about for the past number of months...ahem, year) and some are house and work related. Here they are:

30 Day Goals
> be totally unpacked and have no boxes/bins anywhere except for the basement (oh the poor unfinished basement has no idea what is going to be expected of it!)
> join a gym
> have the basic design plan firmed up/set up for each room (location of furniture, artwork, etc)
> develop and implement a firm play vs. learn schedule for Emmy during the days we spend together at home
> sign Emmy up for an activity (e.g. swimming/dance class/gymnastics)
> have a schedule/plan in place for bi-weekly dates with the hubby (yay!)

90 Day Goals
> be 10 pounds lighter as a result of regularly attending the gym
> have a firm plan in place for projects to take on to improve the house and the decor, organized by room
> determine a hobby I want to take on (right now I'm thinking knitting, but I'm totally open to anything) and have a plan for how to achieve it (e.g. classes, purchasing a book, signing up for a seminar)
> determine if Emmy is happy with the activity we've enrolled in and continue with it or change it up if necessary

Half-Year Goals
> be 30 pounds lighter
> be securing ongoing freelance work on a regular basis

One Year Goals
> be 50 pounds lighter and FIT!
> continue to work as a freelancer
> continue to enroll Emmy in activities that challenge her and that she enjoys
> continue to work on house related projects to improve, tweak and add to the look and feel of our home

No doubt this list will change once we make the move and I have a better idea of what is realistic and what is totally not going to happen (50 pounds is doable, but I do really, really (!!) love chocolate), but I hope to keep a few over-arching goals in mind through it all:

Balance. Happiness. Adventure.

And love. Lots and lots of love.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Those are awesome goals! I envy you! :) I wish I had the strength to make goals like that and follow through. Good luck to you!